Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Juliette Aristides Book Signing at Daniel Smith in Seattle


Sunday, April 13th, Classical Realist Painter Juliette Aristides was at the Daniel Smith Store in Seattle to sign copies of her beautiful new book; "Classical Painting Atelier" and talk with visitors.

Before I asked Juliette to sign my copy, I spent some time going through the book enjoying the lush oil paintings in the book. I had not had the opportunity to see the book before the launch and Juliette's' signing, so I am glad I did, so that I could talk to her about some of the paintings in the book.

An interesting thing that Juliette pointed out is that several of the paintings reside in private collections in the Seattle area. The cover painting of a striking woman glowing in the surrounding darkness by William McGregor Paxton is one, and as I recall, Juliette said that it was on loan to the Seattle Art Museum . I must make sure I see it in person.

While I have not had time to read more than a few pages, I have found that it is laid out in a series of Lessons within the chapters. Juliette's written words, descriptive and eloquent, guide the reader to see what she sees in the painting she is using to illustrate an artistic point. The book does feel like a two dimensional Atelier, with Juliette as the readers' instructor. Juliette teaches in the Classical Atelier style at the Gage Academy of Art in Seattle, so the Lessons in the book are very likely based on Lessons she uses to guide her Atelier Students.

This is a wonderful book I am going to look forward to reading, and if you have an interest in oil painting this is one you will want to add to your collection too.
Many thanks to Juliette Aristides for coming to Daniel Smith to launch her newest book!

You have another opportunity to meet Juliette Aristides and have her sign "Classical Painting Atelier" this coming Friday, April 18th at the Gage Academy of Art :


Juliette Aristides

Friday, April 18, 7:00pm, FREE

Gage Academy of Art,

1501 10th Ave. E, Seattle,

Geo Studio, Third Floor

No comments: